Vraag & aanbod
Unieke collectie van 352 Nederlandse originele watermerken op blanco papier uit de 17e – 19e eeuw
Dutch watermarks A collection of 391 blank paper sheets with 352 Dutch watermarks 17th – 19th Century. Boxed in two handmade Museum Portfolio Boxes, size 45 × 32 × 8 cm. , covered in black library Buckram cloth with white acid-free paper lining. The paper sheets are inserted in Archival Polyester Pockets 430 × 307 mm. Included is a printed catalogue of 142 pages with a description of each sheet with 352 back-lit pictures of all the watermarks and a DVD with all the files of the pictures of the watermarks. Most sheets are quite large and uncut, the average size is about 25 × 40 cm. Only a a couple of sheets have some writing in ink on a small part, but never interfering with the watermarks. All paper is the original laid paper.
¶ The theme of all the watermarks in this collection is the Netherlands. Nearly all this paper was actually made in the Netherlands. Some were made in other countries, using a Dutch watermark, because it was made for the Dutch market, or the watermark of a high quality Dutch papermill was copied by paper mills in other countries.
When the quality of the paper improved in Holland, so did the quality and the beauty of the watermarks
Some groups of watermarks in this collection:
– Arms of Amsterdam used between 1635 – 1796
– Britannia motif was current in the late 18th century.
– Lion, Concordia, Pro Patria
– Garden of Holland or Pro Patria or Maid of Dort 1683 – 1799
– Vryheit in Wreath, Lion, spear and seven darts 1654-1720
Some names of the papermakers:
– D & C Blauw.
The name De Erven de Blauw derives from an imortant family of Dutch papermakers who began making paper in 1621. The papermakers founded by Dirk and Cornelis Blauw operated five wind-powered papermills in the Zaanstreek province of North Holland.
– N. Pannekoek.
Heelsum, the Netherland. Voorn: 1717
– Pieter van der Ley.
The son of Gerrit Pieters van der Ley who worked De Wever (The Weaver) and De Bonsem (The Polecat) mills at Koog aan de Zaan, Holland, from 1674 onwards.
The best known paper makers of North-Holland used their initials as a countermark from the very beginning of white paper manufacture. Van der Ley did this as early as in 1673” (Voorn 1960, p. 535).
– Cornelis Honig. He and his descendants operated Der Vergulde Bijenkorf (The Gilded Beehive) mill at Zaandijk, Holland from 1668, but it was not until 1675 that the mill began to produce fine writing papers.
– Burghoff Magnee & Cnie Started in 1807 in Roermond, the Netherlands.
For more info: rockingstone.nl/en/search?query=3142&maincat=Paper